ETA Hand2Mind

You Can Count on Rekenreks

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Liebster Nomination

I was nominated for the Liebster Award!  In case you don't know what that is, here is the basic idea:
The award is given to new bloggers with 200 followers or less. I was nominated by First Grade Carousel.  Thank you for the nomination, I am flattered.  You should check out her blog, very fun.

The rules to follow are:
1. Post 11 random things about yourself
2. Answer the questions the nominator set for you.
3. Create 11 questions for your nominees.
4. Choose 5 other blogs with fewer than 200 followers to nominate and link them to your post- ones that haven't been nominated yet. 
5. Leave a comment on this post if you were nominated so I can learn more about you and see who you nominate.




11 Randoms
1.  My nominator and I have several things in common-  I am married to my high school sweetheart, have not one but 2 greyhounds (one is an Italian greyhound and the other is a retired racer), I have 2 daughters (although mine are young- 9 and 6), and I also don't like to be cold.
2.  I have taught PreK, K, PreFirst, and First.  Suppose some day I should try 2nd.
3.  I love Christmas music... even in the summer.
4.  I love Halloween almost as much as Christmas, but not quite.
5.  My husband has had his private pilots license since he was 15...he took me up in his Citaboria for our first date when we were 17.
6.  I love to dance.  My favorite styles are Jazz and Lyrical.  I would some day love to learn the latin ballroom styles too.
7.  I LOVE Disney World.  We go there every 2-3 years.
8.  I love lasagna, pizza, tamales, burritos, and pakoras.
9.  I am a vegetarian.
10.  I would someday love to go to Australia.  I have wanted to go since I was 3.  I love the animals, the scenery, etc. 
11.  I love chickens.  I grew up on a horse farm and loved the chickens we had.  I have had a few batches of chicks to teens with my young girls, but we never keep them.  We give them to friends to keep for egg laying (as we don't eat eggs).  We just love those fun little critters.

The questions First Grade Carousel wants me to answer are the following:


1. What is your favorite thing about blogging?
I love getting my ideas out there, and hearing what others are doing.  It's a great collective of wonderful and creative ideas from all those fabulous teachers out there!
2. Where is your favorite place to vacation?
Phew- there is more than one!  Florida (my brother's family is there, and we visit DW with my 2 cute kids), Durango (love the Polar Express and kid museum), Idaho (fun inner tubing and ice skating and my parents live there), and I think our soon to be new favorite place to vacation is the U.K. (we go there for the first time in December).
3. What is your favorite children's book?
Oh boy!  Again, too many to think of.... but as far as favorite for me to read (and yet is a kid book) is the Harry Potter series.  As far as kid book to read to my class, hmmm, has to be Oh, The Places You'll Go by Dr. Seuss.  I love all his work and cry everytime I read that book to my class at the end of the year. 
4. What do you like to do when you are not working on things for your classroom?
I love being with my family, camping, dancing, crafty stuff of all kinds, and organizing a variety of things.
5. If you could spend time with anyone ~ who would you like to meet and why?
Johnny Depp.... I was almost an extra in one of his little known films "Cry Baby" by John Waters.  A small portion of it was filmed in Sykesville, MD where I grew up.  I was only in 8th grade or so when my mom asked me if I wanted to be an extra in a film (although if she knew anything about John Waters she wouldn't have offered this to me).  I said no.  I sure wish I had said yes.  Funny thing though, Johnny was recently in my area again, only this time Albuquerque, NM.  Near where I live now.  He was filming Lone Ranger with Armie Hammer.  I would have loved to be an extra in that one!  I think the why of meeting him is pretty self-explanatory... he's lovely.
6. What food could you not do without?
Chocolate, period.
7. Tell a bit about your best day ever as an educator.
Each day has a super moment when someone "gets it" and understands what you want them to learn.  As far as best day, that's any day that a parent appreciates/sees the effort, love, care I put into my day as I work with their child. 
8. What would you like to have more time for during the school day?
Grading papers, never seems to be enough time to get it done at school and would very much like to get it done there, so I don't bring it home all the time.
9. What scares you most?
Every parent wants their family to be safe, so that's always a thought on my mind.  As far as irrational fears- spiders.
10. What is your favorite holiday or time of the year?
Christmas is my favorite holiday but hands down I LOVE summer time.  It's so warm and relaxing.  Full of easy going fun with the family and tons of camping trips.
11.  What do you tend to buy too much of?
Stickers.  Bags/Purses- I am a big fan of a company called Thirty-One and buy way too many of their cute bags. 

Questions for my nominees:

1.  What has been the best advice you received from a colleague?
2.  Who do you think is an amazing teacher and why?
3.  If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would it be?
4.  If you could change one thing about your school (for the better) what would it be?  Just one!
5.  What is your favorite classroom theme to use in your room?
6.  What is your vice when stressed?
7.  What is your favorite song and are there any memories to go along with it?
8.  When you were in elementary school, what did you think you would be when you grew up?
9.  What advice have you given a coworker/new teacher that you think would be good to tell others?
10.  What book would you bring to a deserted island?
11.  Do you have any fun talents/skills?


My Nominees!!!!
1.  Our Sweet Success
2.  First Grade Shenanigans
3.  Frogtastic First Graders
4.  Spotted in First Grade
5.  Fresh & Fun First Grade
 Please check them out.  Each unique and offering something fun.

Thanks again First Grade Carousel!!!
Amy







1 comment:

  1. It was interesting to read your post. Enjoy every moment with your daughters they grow up way too fast! I am still looking for a few teachers to participate in the Winter Wonderland Exchange. Would love if you'd consider joining or could pass the info to someone who might want to in your area. I've been looking for bloggers in all the states. Thanks, Maria

    ReplyDelete